OPEN CALL for young visual and new media artists – X Platform, 2nd edition
Preparatory to the 10th edition of the eXplore dance festival — Bucharest International Contemporary Dance and Performance Festival, Romania’s main dance and performance event, 4Culture Association in co-production with Tangaj Dance, WASP – Working Art Space and Production and Life Long Burning kick start the second edition of X Platform — a residency program dedicated to the new generation of visual artists across Europe that supports the research and the production of interactive, new and trans-media projects.
This year, the platform is centered on the concept ”corporeality and limitation”, having Olivia Nitiș and Ciprian Ciuclea as curators. The works submitted should be in an advanced phase of the working process. The artists or the groups who initiated them will benefit of residencies at WASP – Working Art Space and Production for finishing and/or presenting them in premiere. We look after works in the field of interactive and participatory installations which put into question the relation between body and limits. We are searching for video, sound and concept environment installations in which the body is capable of generating another type of experience but also installations in which the body can be immersed in a disruptive reality/experience. The project will materialize during August 28 – September 5, in a group exhibition of the resident artists.
The first edition of X Platform took place in 2014 and offered residencies for 12 young artists from Bucharest, Timisoara, Amsterdam and London, with different backgrounds, from architecture to painting, performance or computer based art. The artists had one month to explore and develop individual or collective installations at WASP – Working Art Space and Production, coordinated by Marilena Preda-Sânc, Ciprian Ciuclea, Jan Eugen and Cosmina Chituc. The exhibition was coagulated by Olivia Nițis, the curator of the project and took place between September 14 – 20, 2014.
The application should contain:
✓ application form completed and signed
✓ CV (mandatory) and portfolio (selection of projects – maximum 5 pages pdf)
✓ other attachments relevant for the application – maximum 5 pages pdf (detailed description of the project, photographies, documentations, drawings etc.).
* You can also send video and sound materials in the limit of one sample in DVD video, mp3 or mp4 format – maximum 2 minutes. Materials should be sent via wetransfer, myairbridge or dropbox.
Application period: July 9 – August 10th, 2015
Deadline: August 10th, 2015.
Accepted applicants will be contacted throughout August 11-15, 2015.
Residency and production period: August 24 – 28, 2015.
X Platform exhibition week: August 28 – September 5, 2015
*The dates can be changed by the organizers.
Guidelines and requirements:
• This call addresses European artists, including Romanian residents.
• The proposals can be either in Romanian or English.
• Maximum 2 works/ artist.
• The call addresses projects situated in an advanced stage of concept development, with articulated proposals of materialization. The works should be produced and exposed during the residency period, between August 10 – September 5, 2015.
• The works should be integrated in the curatorial concept of Olivia Nitiș and Ciprian Ciuclea: ”Corporeality and Limitation”.
• The proposals should include projects which have not yet been exhibited in a final form.
• The works can take any form, but they have to be well documented, self-sustained, easy to transfer and sustainable for future presentations.
• The works should be appropriate for and encourage the participation of a large area of audience, from children to adults.
• We encourage collaborative projects, which involve the fusion of different fields (Design and Biology, Visual Arts and Technology, etc.).
• We are open to original and imaginative applications which highlight the creativity, ingenuity and sensuousness of young artists.
• We encourage experiments, problem solving and finding new methods to involve the public in innovative ways which excite thinking.
• 4Culture will secure the exhibition production and will cover the cost for travel, accommodation and fee (including per diem) for the selected artists. The precise details will be discussed with the invited artists
X Platform is a cultural program in co-production between 4Culture, WASP — Working Art Space & Production, Tangaj Dance and Life Long Burning, with the support of the Culture 2007 — 2013 programme. A cultural project financed by: AFCN – The National Cultural Fund Administration and The Ministry of Culture.